Wednesday, August 3, 2011

    I wonder if children of today have to contend with the hidden world of hazzards that we faced in the 1930s and 40s as we explored the vacant lots and fields in our neighborhood.   One of the most feared creatures was a snake known as the blue runner which would chase you until you dropped.  None had ever been seen, and no one had ever been chased by one, but we knew they were there.   We also had to be on the lookout for ground puppies, creatures whose bite  (it was never clear if it  would  bite or  sting or if it was an animal or an  insect or what ) was so deadly  i t meant  instant death.   There was the ground rattler (probably a real poisonous snake) and the, still waiting   to be viewed , hoop snake--a snake that grabs its tail in its mouth and  rolles along like a wagon wheel.  We had devil horses, red bugs ( mostly the bane of girls for some unknown reason)   horn snakes, and  blood weeds (rag weeds).

     Finally, for those brave enough to go swimming in the river,  there was the risk of meeting the blind mullet.. You may not know what a blind mullet is, but if you ever see or encounter one you will reconize it at once.

1 comment:

  1. The sighting of a "blind mullet" was usually followed by "the rising moon".
    When I was a kid in Arkansas the "blue runner" (blue racer in Ark.) could do 40 miles an hour and was aggressive. Now they top out at 3.5 to 4 mph and are passive. I loved to hear my grandmother recount the story of her sighting of a "hoop snake". I knew they were real. I was an adult with a family before I realized she was talking story. It came to me one day when I was making up something ridiculous for my own child.

    ReplyDelete